Saturday, May 30, 2015

Some Things Never Change

I realized something today. I have pretty much been the same person from the day I was born to the millisecond in time I spend finding the words to mean "right now."

I will still look at you funny if I don't know you.

I will still make a fuss if I'm hungry, but be totally silent if upset.

I still love stories and the people who tell them.

I still want to travel, learn languages, hit the lottery (and my backup plan is still to become an even more professional bum).

I'm still writing. I write stuff. But there's a pattern, you know, to what happens when I decide to be brave and share.

When I start sharing my words, I write more and more. I write chapter after chapter, notes upon notes, and I even want to blog.

I've been writing and sharing some stories. If you're interested in those stories, join me over at Storybird where I'm sharing something old that I keep going back to and something new, but bittersweet. Although I can't exactly say I'm "back from the dead," I am writing again. So you might hear from me more often than you have in the past year. That's for sure. Exciting things are happening for me. I'm moving to another country for a year, learning languages, and old enough to play the lotto. Plan A might be working out for me after all.

Plan B don't sound too bad, though, to be honest.

Soez.

Just keep swimming,
Deserae


6 comments:

  1. Oh, I've always loved your writing :') I shall definitely check them out soon.

    It's funny because I feel the same way - that I'm still the same person. I mean, I can't say I'm still writing (though I WANT to), but despite not necessarily doing the same things, I still feel like the same person. Says something about my personal growth, huh? :P I guess I'm fulfilling my dream not to grow up ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already read parts of CURSES!, right? But I just fell in love with it all over again... I'm glad it's something you keep going back to ♥ (I'm commenting about it here, because I hate signing up to new stuff... It takes me a while :P Maybe when I get my own writing mojo back, and I have something to contribute.)

      Delete
    2. I'm sure you've read it before seeing as I've been working on it for basically ever. HAHA! I'm glad that you're enjoying it! And it's okay to comment here! I get not wanting to sign up for something new. I still think back sourly to when I joined Facebook just for the games. Tell me why I still haven't joined Snapchat. Lolz!!!

      And agree with all of the above! Like, I've EXPANDED in terms of knowledge, desires, goals, and improved attitude. But my personality? Habits? The things that make me, ME? Basically the same. It surprises me sometimes, the things that haven't changed! I'm all for growth! I love learning! I've grown lots. But I think I'm just realizing that you don't always change the way you might think when you gain some inches. You're still you. Only... taller??? If that makes sense??? LOL!!!

      Delete
    3. ... Heh heh heh... I have Snapchat. But not FB. To be fair, I only got it to keep up with my sister while she frolicks around in Spain. I did it under compulsion.

      And yeah, it does make sense. I don't think we so much as change as we do evolve. I talked over this with a friend after my last birthday, because - and I'm fine with this - but I couldn't understand why I hadn't become a 'grown up'. You know how when you're younger you see people older than you, and you're just like, 'Man, they're old', and they're just a completely different species? But I'm here, at the big two-oh, and I don't feel any different. I'm pretty sure people don't treat me differently either. Anyway, my friend said it would probably be a case of at some random point in the future, it'll just hit you how far you've come... Maybe when you say a line to your kid that your mother used to say to you :P Until then, it's pretty much incremental, and you won't find the changes if you're looking for them. What do you think?

      Delete
    4. How fun for your sister!!! Mine are trying to convince me to get a Tumblr for when I go abroad so I get this. The feels are real. :]

      Also, I think your thoughts are more than valid. When I hit 20, I had no overwhelming sense of accomplishment, nothing big actually changed. It took me FOREVER to really come to the conclusion that I was no long 19. That *I* of all people was supposedly an adult. But nothing makes you feel old quite like being around children. I'm surrounded by kids now so it's like I get it. I'M the adult. And even though I still don't FEEL different, I realize I AM different--- in my actions, the way I respond to things, and even in my own thoughts. I think that's why people end up having midlife crises maybe. We just go on living our lives, you know? Maybe never REALLY feeling different. Until suddenly, we undeniably are.

      I personally don't consider myself a "grown up," but I do think of myself as an adult. I live off of my own money, I make my own decisions, and there are people who look to me for help. But that didn't exactly happen the day I turned 18 you know? It was a natural transition that happened over time. Is still happening. Doesn't stop happening in my opinion. But perhaps that's getting too into things. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Here, here! Or 'hear, hear'? Regardless, I hear ya. Good talk :)

    ReplyDelete