Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Quick-Write Wednesday #1

Don't Go To Sleep

"It’s much larger than it seemed. And for that, I am grateful.
            I slip off the drenched green coat that weighs down my shoulders, and toss it on top of the burlap bag that I’ve already set on the cave’s floor. I can’t start a fire without dry wood, and the torrential rain outside mocks my shaking figure as it slumps to the rocky ground and tries to relax into a comfortable position.
            My thoughts echo off the walls of my skull, restless and scattered, as if everything and nothing needed my immediate attention. Every breath I take disappears into the darkness, leaving me alone with them, telling me to sort them out. I want to, but I can’t. They fight me without need of a respite. They taunt me from the depths of my brain. They say they’ve forgiven but they don’t want to forget. They’re killing me from the inside out.
            A year ago things were different. I lived in the city with my wife and my kid. We were happy. I was whole. A second changes everything— one decision, one regret—
            I try not to look to the past for answers. The future holds more of them, anyway."

To read more, click on the link WAY up above... And now... for the cover and prompt themselves...

Cover thanks to Google Images and Wallpaperweb.org.
Oh! And Paint. Gotta love Paint...

 The official prompt was given to me by Arianna over at Lisi's Blah-g:

"It's much larger than it seemed."
+cave +male perspective

 
Now I admit there was a lot of whining on my end before I even started writing. Because Ari KNOWS I am afraid of writing from the male POV. But she challenged me to it anyway and you know what?

It's not so bad.

Sure it's different... a little uncomfortable... But I learned that it's just WRITING. Weird, right? I know!

SO, if you're afraid of writing from a guy's perspective like I was, let it be known that it's not as bad as it seems. I know "Don't Go to Sleep" isn't my finest piece, but I'd still love to hear what you think of it and how you think I can improve upon my next Wednesday Write because Dudes and Dudettes, this is a learning process, and I intend on being schooled (Get it?! Schooled?! Oh man... HOW do I come up with these zingers?!).

If you'd like to be a part of next week's Quick-Write Wednesdays or if you'd like to suggest a prompt, please leave a comment! Also for the comments: do you think it's possible to forget things that you consider to be "unforgettable"?

A list of this week's Quick-Write participants:
Arianna with the prompt: "He lied when he said one kiss wouldn't kill me." -Deserae
Alice with the prompt: "It felt like we were standing at the end of the world." +sibling +told in "another world" -Deserae

Anyone can join in, and the prompts son muy fabuloso. Remember: Snapshot Saturdays are on... Saturday! Stop back in to see what I'm currently working on.

Love and Ladybugs,
Deserae McGlothen

No comments:

Post a Comment