Friday, February 10, 2012

Book Recommendation: The Fault in Our Stars

Here is the thing: I haven't really read much upon entering the whirlwind that is college.
Here is the other thing: I have always wanted to read something written by John Green.
And with these two things in mind, I walked into the (only) bookstore in town, and God, in His infinite wisdom, lowered a display of TFiOS from heaven (not really), and I managed to snag a (signed) copy of this beautiful, beautiful book.

Here is the gist: I read this book and am sure I am in love with it.
Here is the snag: I cannot, for the life of me, completely articulate WHY.
I love it. Of this, I am sure! But I guess the thing about any book, great or otherwise, is that one must read it for themselves to figure out what they think of it. And this is why, upon hearing from several reliable sources that this book was the business, I grabbed a copy.

I have a bad habit of mistrusting "hype."

But I read it. And I love it "present tense." And after I fully formulate my thoughts on it, I will write a proper review and then I will read it again.

Because it's that kind of book. The one you must insist your sister reads. And after you're done with her, you hand it off to the rest of the family. And after all of them, the dog. And once he's been greatly edified, you force the neighbors. And when they've come to their senses, you call all of your friends. And you have them call of their friends. And then you all make a trip to The White House and say, "OBAMA! YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK!" And when he does, you have him read it on national television to all of these United States. And let's hope Palin and Bush are home to get some proper edification.

My point is, it is that kind of book. The kind that makes you think many, many thoughts. That makes you laugh many times. That makes you dream many dreams. It's the kind of book that, in the midst of tragedy, provides these truths that don't intend to make you sad, but, instead, to make you hope. This book, believe it or not, wants you to hope. To hope that life has meaning. To hope that tomorrow will come. To hope that health will be forever yours. To hope that, even if it's not, you can still live, whatever that means.

I guess I am writing a review when all I intended to do was to make you watch me talk you into watching a poorly lit video of me recommending this book (see Exhibit A below).

Exhibit A

But I am too smart for myself--- too smart to know that, when recommending a book that has changed something in you that not even you can pinpoint as of yet, there is no intention of "just" doing this or that. The only thing one is trying to do once they've put down a book like the afforementioned is to understand. To understand what it is that makes a book this beautiful, and to understand how anyone has not yet "refused to deny themselves such simple pleasures" as knowing what it feels like to have seen a glimpse of such a world, and to have been involved in such a story. 

Go. Read. Now.

You are so, very welcome,
Deserae
Commenting on Comments
Sonal- Thank you kindly, my dear! They do make me happy, those pesky BrainBooks, and I have this nagging feeling that they always will. Which is why I keep writing them. It's sad how desperately I run after a bit of happiness. 

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this! So many wonderful things have been said, and sometimes it's hard not to distrust all the hype, but this time around I think there's a reason for it. I'm not sure if (emotionally speaking) I can handle it at the moment, being pregnant and all. I'm already a big bundle of emotions and hormones, so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to read a John Green novel so The Fault in Our Stars will probably be the first I read. I haven't heard a single bad thing about this book and it definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy. Loved your review, Des!
    Love always
    Sonal xox

    ReplyDelete