Friday, February 17, 2012

An Announcement, A Challenge, and Another Thing Too

THE ANNOUNCEMENT
You know how My Ticket Elsewhere has been "under construction" for a billion years? Well, I just figured out what I want to do with it--- I've made it a book blog! If you're interested in being part of an online "book club," please check out this post like, now! We're going to start reading together in March, but I'm announcing the March Reading List this Sunday, so why not get a head start?

THE CHALLENGE
On Sonal's blog (hey, hey, sexy thang! Seriously, have you seen her blog? It's adorable. It made me want to start playing around with blog templates so go! Go check it out!) there's this twenty question survey and I've decided to take part in it. If you want to take part in it, too, do so! Then, leave the link to your responses in the comments so I can see what you guys said, too!

1. What was the first book you remember reading?
I know there were SEVERAL before this, but the book I equate to my being a "reader" is called URSULA'S UMBRELLA, so I'm going to have to go with that.

2. What book do you regret reading?
I am SO cool, I have yet to read a book (recreationally) that I didn't like. Because seriously, ya'll. If you don't like a book here's what you do:
Step 1: Decide you don't like it.
Step 2: Close the book and give it to someone who lives far, far away.
End of!

3. What's your favourite genre?
My favorite age group to read and write for is middle-grade, but my favorite genre is comedy and, while middle grade comedy is great, don't get me wrong!, YA humor is much easier to relate to know since my recent turn into adulthood (*dies*). 

4. If you could be any literary character, who would it be?
Elizabeth Bennett. Darcy? You are MINE.

5. What's your favourite series of books?
Because I live and BREATHE series, I will give you my top five in a very particular order.
5. The Mysterious Benedict Society.
4. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
3. The Series of Unfortunate Events.
2. The Chronicles of Narnia.
1. The Harry Potter Series.
*Note: Only one out of five of those are found in the YA section. WORD.

6. What book do you most want to read?
Right now? PERSUASION by Jane Austen. Everybody y sus madres has PERSUASION in their possession. What am I missing?! I CAN'T BE LEFT OUT, YA'LL!!!

7. What was your favourite book when you were younger?
How young? When I was a toddler, young, it was ARE YOU MY MOTHER? by Dr. Seuss. Then, when I started getting older, Narnia and Hogwarts fought desperately for my attention. 

8. Are there any books that you'd like to see made into movies?
I agree with Sonal that SISTERS RED would make a pretty intense flick. But the one book I've been dying to see made into a film is THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW which is the FIRST book of the Narnia series. Filmmakers everywhere continue to skip over this one. Why?! It's my favorite of the collection!

9. If you could date a literary character, who would it be?
Augustus Waters. Read THE FAULT IN OUR STARS and you will know why. 

10. Where's your favourite place to read?
The car. Yuuuupppp... Because I'm cool like that.

11. Do you have any signed books?
Lots.

12. What was the last book you read?
THE FAULT IN OUR STARS which I highly recommend as I'm reading it again this March.

13. What are you currently reading?
MAZEL for my Jewish Lit. class.

14. What fictional place do you wish was real?
Hogwarts. That's a given.

15. Have you ever disliked a book that a friend recommended to you?
Cop out answer: *shakes fist at sky* I don't HAVE friends! 

16. Are there any things that you're fussy about when it comes to books?
Too many to count, but as these are personal things I can't change, I find comfort in being able to whinge about them to my sister via email (and then in a blog post if it's REALLY bad). 

17. Are you fussy about book covers?
Yes. I am one of those uppity schoolgirls who likes her book to look pretty (and have a connection to the material inside!). 

18. Do you read reviews on a book that you want to read before reading it?
Not purposely because I read reviews in order to see what I MIGHT want to read (rather than reading a review on a book I KNOW I want to read, which is different). I like to keep an open-ish mind about books, and I like to know what's out there. So I read reviews with the intention of staying informed.

19. What's the longest book you've read?
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

20. Are there any books you own that you haven't got around to reading yet?
Have you seen my bookshelves?! I have a problem. I mean, sometimes I trick myself into THINKING I read some of the books, just to make myself feel less like a book hoarder.


THE OTHER THING
I've been having problems with Blogger today. I apologize, in advance, if there are links that take you to weird places or if some of the posts appear multiple times. Know that I'm not trying to spam you or anything--- honestly, I love you guys. It's Blogger that needs a severe scolding. 





Have a wonderful three-day weekend!
Deserae
Commenting on Comments
Sonal- You're right! It's never too late. Thank you for being my Valentine, Dear, and I am so glad you're going to read TFiOS soon! It's actually going to be the first book featured on the new Ticket Elsewhere. Perhaps, if you read it by March 5th, you could talk about it conmigo! :] And it's true!!! I DO like grandmas!!!! I just don't like LOOKING like one, that's the trouble. You should definitely feel comfy in your cute specks because mine--- oi vey! Glad to be of service, Love! And thanks for the survey! I enjoyed reading your responses and posting some of my own. :)

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe it's been so long since I commented on your blog! I've missed you lots, and I'm SO going to check out The Fault in Our Stars, ASAP!
    I majorly heart the quiz you just posted, and am stealing it right now ;) And I thought I was the only teen on the planet who still read Middle-school books. Yay for us! When I was almost 13, I was very sad because all the books I liked reading ( Like Nancy Drew and Sisters Grimm) were only for an 8-12 audience. After a while, I realized that I wouldn't let any book dictate who could and could not read it.( I still read them now! Woo!)
    xox, lots of love, Maya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Deserae! I checked out the blog, and I love it! It's adorable! I still have yet to read it though, since I've been reading this post.
    Either way, that tag is cute that you did! I'm going to have to check out The Fault in Our Stars too. I've heard so many good things about it from a lot of the book reviewers I follow on YouTube. :D
    -Nicole! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your answers, Des. TFiOS is amazing so far. I'm so glad I took your word for it and bought it. Oh my gosh, I can't tell you how unbelievably excited I am for My Ticket Elsewhere! I've already commented on Elsewhere but I just thought I'd tell you again to emphasize my excitement!
    Love always
    Sonal xox

    P.S. Thank you very much for complimenting my blog! It took ages to finally get it how I want it to look but (I think) it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGHHKP!!!!!! Agustus is totally my fictional boyfriend too! (Don't worry, we can share) Somehow though, I don't want to take him away from Hazel. I feel like they belong together.

    ReplyDelete